On Holiday I discovered a new typical Swiss dish. Of course I knew already fondue and rösti, but ‘Käseschnitte’ was new to me. But very tasteful, and easy to make
Ingredients for 2 persons:
- some thick slices of dark brown bread
- some but for the form
- 1 dl of white wine
- 250 gr of grounded cheese
- 2 dl of cream
- 1 onion
- 2 eggs
- nutmeg, salt, cayenne pepper
- 1 tomato
- 2 pickles
- Preheat the oven on 200°C.
- Grease the form with the butter and put the slices of bread in them.
- Sprinkle the bread with the wine.
- chop the onion.
- divide the egg yolk and the white.
- Mix the egg yolks, the cheese, the cream, the onion and the spices.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, and mix them under the cheese mixture.
- Pour the mixture over the bread.
- Garnish with tomatoes and pickles.
- Bake it for 20 minutes in the oven, until the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve with a salad.